Today I am 28, but since Henry will always be a year older than me I'm okay with it. Just kidding, I'm really not one to worry about birthdays, it just means I get a Key Lime pie and that by itself is reason to celebrate! I'm continuing to feel better, but still keeping work to part time so I can rest. I've been informed that I'm starting to sound more life myself over the phone, which makes me wonder how bad I sounded previously. But I will definitely take any improvement. I've finished my quarter at school and now have a two-week break before I'm back at it again. Henry is studying for the California Bar and doing great. It sounds like it's coming back to him from the Illinois Bar, which I'm sure makes studying much easier. With all the extra alone time I have now I'm trying to get some writing done, but my syllabus for the class I'm teaching this quarter is due at the end of the month and is hanging over my head. Probably I should work on that...
- What the Baby's Doing: Facial muscles are now developed enough to allow for a variety of expressions, although they are not yet conscious expressions of emotions. More calcium is being deposited on the bones as the skeletal system continues to develop. If we're having a girl, millions of eggs are forming in her ovaries. The baby's eyes are now sensitive to light and as s/he develops breathing technique s/he is having frequent bouts of the hiccups, although I can't feel them yet. The baby is about 5 inches long and weighs a bit less than 3 ounces.
- Total Weight Gain: Only half a pound up from last week, but any gain is good and there's no need to pack it on too fast! :-)
- Symptoms: Still taking my medication but it's working so no complaints. The weirdest thing this week is my sudden craving for ONIONS!! I can't get enough. Pickled onions in V8 juice is my favorite right now, but basically Henry's just chopping up a bunch of Vidalias and putting hefty amounts on whatever I'm eating. Since we're both of the school that food cravings mean something, Henry and I looked up what's in onions to see what it is I might be wanting out of them and found out that they are very high in vitamin K, which helps calcium bond to bone and is actually used for osteoporosis patients. Very interesting! Also, onions are supposed to help lower cholesterol in the blood stream, something which I could definitely use. So for now, bring on the onions! (as long as Henry can stand my dragon breath anyway)
- Sleep: I slept through the night one night this week! Actually it was the day before my birthday so perhaps the baby was giving me a present.
- Movement: Felt a new kind of movement this week. Instead of butterflies it felt more like popcorn popping. Very very cool. We were in the car so Henry quickly put his hand over the spot and felt it too. It was very short and hasn't really happened again, but we're keeping our hands ready!
- Best Moment of the Week: Well, unfortunately not baby related, but I'm going to have to go with Key Lime pie. :-)
- What I Miss: The sushi bar at Whole Foods is an evil evil place. They have spicy tuna hand rolls just sitting out there, taunting poor pregnant women who aren't allowed to eat raw fish (or tuna for that matter if you're married to Henry who's on a personal crusade against high mercury fish). I wonder how weird it would be for my first meal post-partum to be a big plate of spicy tuna and hamachi rolls. Does Kamehachi deliver to the hospital?
- What I'm Looking Forward To: Our 16 week appointment on Friday. I'm hoping they won't be able to hear the heartbeat with the Doppler (which is totally possible with the location of the tumor) and we'll have to get an ultrasound so I can try and con them into telling us the sex ::rubs hands together villainously::
- Milestones: The new movement was big, now I just hope we feel it again. Also getting my first pregnancy craving is pretty cool if not a little gross.
Next post will be on Friday for our 16 week appointment!
No comments:
Post a Comment